Lot of people seems to struggle when itâ€™s time to hire an SEO. In fact, since the profession is not as well organised (in comparison of others) and because the process involves very technical issues, it becomes quite difficult to know exactly where to start in the process of hiring someone responsible of search engine optimization.
Why do you need an SEO?
Based on all the SEO requests that Iâ€™m receiving (way more than you would probably imagine) , I can say that while everyone wants to be on the top results of Google, only few have a very specific goal on mind when calling for SEO services. I would say that the identification of your needs would probably be the first logical thing to identify before calling anybody. Please remember that SEO should always be seen as part of a global marketing strategy. So what are you looking for exactly: more traffic? increase online sales? lead generation? getting people subscribe to your newsletter? There are many goals that we can achieve (sometimes more than one) but we still need to know how to measure your future success.
Do I need a consultant or a company?
What type of customer are you? Do you already have a marketing department? Whoâ€™s responsible of managing your website? Do you have a budget allowed to SEO? According to your previous answers you can select either a consultant or a company. Besides of the princing, the main differences are that a consultant will focus on SEO issues while companies will sometimes be able to provide a full range of services supporting the SEO effort.
Where do I start my selection of SEO prospects?
I would definitely start based on referrals and then go online. Few months ago I wrote a piece about Who cares about SEO Montreal, the article was an attemp to determine who was targeting that specific term on Google. A little bit later I’ve published another post on the same topic to update the exercise (in french that time). By taking a look at my results, I’ve quickly found out that the front page for SEO Montreal is still owned by the same people. Because I’ve used the 1st page of Google in the previous exercises, I’ll go with Scour.com this time because I like the fact that it merges the results from Google, Yahoo and MSN Live. So here’s the top 10 as of today:
- Montreal SEO Company | NVI – www.nvisolutions.com
- Agence de RÃ©fÃ©rencement MontrÃ©al SEO Specialist http://cityseo.blogspot.com
- Montreal Search Engine Optimization Company www.uniseo.com
- SEO Search Engine Optimization Company SEO Expert www.searchengineoptimizationcompany.ca/
- Search Engine Watch Forums : profile SEO Montreal http://montrealseo.ca
- montrealseo.ca http://montrealseo.ca/
- Gabriel Goldenberg – LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/in/seomontreal
- Search Engine Optimization Montreal www.montrealseo.com
- SEO Internet Marketing Company in Montreal | NVI – www.nvisolutions.com
- seo montreal www.adviso.ca
Which questions to ask before hiring?
Many great posts has been made on what you should look for before hiring an internet marketing strategist. Please read Questions to Ask an SEO Before Hiring Them and this one from Entrepreneur.com on Hiring an SEO Consultant.
SEO Vendor Considerations (from SES San Jose Pannel How to Choose a Search Vendor)
1) Strong keyword research strategy. How will they determine KW’s you will show up for?
2) Strong copywriting and link building.
3) Optimization plan for organic pages.
4) Measure organic conversion and ROI.
5) Proven results. Ask about failure, success, and referrals.
Where to get further information concerning SEO in Montreal?
list of SEO people in Montreal: (please help me complete the list)
Ressac MÃ©dia (blog)
K3 MÃ©dia (blog)
Gabriel Goldenberg (blog)
Strategic Marketing Montreal (blog)
Eric Bailllargeon (blog)